Thursday, February 17, 2011

So much for public transport!


This video of passengers boarding a train near Yangon (formerly Rangoon), Myanmar (formerly Burma) made me blink. The person who put it up on YouTube notes:

Certain trains on the train lines don't stop at some stations. The train drivers will however slow down to give people the opportunity to board the train.


How very helpful of them!







I wonder how many people are injured each year trying to do that, and how many bags and personal possessions are dropped?





Peter

5 comments:

Neel Patel said...

Seeing this makes me grimace -- one of my earliest bad memories is of seeing a man in Mumbai lose his leg to a train that started moving before it should have. I wasn't but 5 or 6 when I saw it happen, but it made me realize the raw power of trains. I hate to think how many this practice has maimed or killed.

Dr. Feelgood said...

But it's energy efficient, and isn't mother Gaia worth a few (non-American) human lives every now and then?

Anonymous said...

What would you do with small children? Makes me think of a recent accident in here in Canada in Calgary where a grandfather was running to catch a transit train with his 4 year old grandson and the child tripped and fell between the train and platform as it started to move. He did not survive.

D

Old NFO said...

Just one more example of how differently they view life in that part of the world... sigh...

bruce said...

not so much a view of life, I think , as a, get with it or step off.