Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Now that's a bumpy landing!


Courtesy of Airpigz, we find this video of a Korean Air Boeing 777 making a very bumpy landing indeed! This is technically known as PIO, or 'Pilot Induced Oscillation' - it's clearly the pilot's fault, not caused by bad weather or any external factor.

(I recommend watching the video in full-screen mode to get the best perspective.)







It amazes me that the undercarriage was strong enough to absorb the impact of anywhere between 450,000 and 550,000 pounds (225-275 short tons, depending on the model of Boeing 777 involved). I wonder how many passengers (and flight crew!) filled their pants while that was going on?





Peter

9 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

Remind me to avoid Korean Airlines ...

Morris said...

Rev Paul stole my line...

Anonymous said...

My father in law would say he got credit for 4 carrier landings.

Gerry

Anonymous said...

A VERY strong undercarriage is a
design imperative for Boeing engineers.

RC Power

Dirk said...

That would have been the time to ask the pilot "Did we land, or were we shot down?" as you leave the plane...

Old NFO said...

At least the PIOs weren't PITCH PIOs... otherwise we'd be watching a ball of flame go down the runway... sigh... And yeah, I REFUSE to fly KAL!

Crucis said...

I didn't see a windsock. Wonder how much cross-wind he had. I experienced one of those in a Braniff 727 landing in SAT some time ago. There was a 25-kt crosswind too.

Arthur B. Burnett said...

Greetings from Texas,
Astounding! I thought it was scarie watching a Cessna or Piper do this.

Don said...

I would have been one of those who needed to change their pants afterward...

wv: feari
I fear i would have needed clean underwear (and possibly a doctor) after that landing :-)