Sunday, January 16, 2011

An entirely appropriate product recall!


I did a double-take at the latest product recall notice issued by the US Food and Drug Administration. Yahoo! News reports:

The FDA announced that Candy Dynamics is recalling some of its Toxic Waste brand candy. Toxic Waste Nuclear Sludge, made in Pakistan, has been found to contain elevated levels of lead that poses a threat of poisoning, especially for children. Toxic Waster is made by Candy Dynamics and [distributed] under the Circle City Marketing and Distributing of Indianapolis. Specific Toxic Waste candies recalled include:

  • Toxic Waste Nuclear Sludge Cherry Chew Bar (UPC 0 89894 81430 6)
  • Toxic Waste Nuclear Sludge Sour Apple Chew Bar (UPC 0 10684 81410 7)
  • Toxic Waste Nuclear Sludge Blue Raspberry Chew Bar (UPC 0 89894 81420 7)

To date no injuries or illness have been reported in connection with Toxic Waste candy. Toxic Waste tested with dangerous lead levels of .24 parts per million. The FDA allowable lead content is .1 ppm.

. . .

Candy Dynamics specializes the production of extremely sour candy. Sour Candy Drums are designed to look like toxic waste oozing from a nuclear waste drum.

. . .

The concern with foreign made candy, particularly candy made in third world nations, is that the production standards may not be on par with FDA approved levels.


There's more at the link.

It may be that I'm a few decades too far removed from being a kid . . . but the thought of any parent willingly allowing their kids to buy candy labeled 'Toxic Waste' is beyond me. Certainly, if I'd wanted something like that, my rather more straight-laced parents, raised in the environment of the Great Depression pre-World War II, would have had more than a few hard words for me, and possibly a slap or two into the bargain, to drive their point home!

Oh, well . . . times change, I guess . . . but if that's what today's kids are buying, I can't believe they've necessarily all changed for the better!

(Come to think of it, Tam and Roberta live in Indianapolis. Wonder if they've seen any mushroom clouds over any nearby candy warehouses?)



Peter

2 comments:

Shrimp said...

Oh, I don't know how to respond to that. As a kid, I would've wanted it, just because I knew my Mom and Dad would have said. "no."

As a parent to four kids who read books like Captain Underpants and the like (which are very entertaining, in a juvenile sort of way, which I guess is the point) I could see my kids asking for that kind of thing.

Of course, I'd still tell them no, but I'd certainly understand the appeal from their perspective.

On a Wing and a Whim said...

Clearly, you weren't a fan of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

I still want a box of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs, too.