Monday, September 22, 2014

If you get vertigo, don't watch this


Recognize this building?




It's the 100-floor John Hancock Center in Chicago.  The video clip below shows workers on top of the West Tower - one of the two antenna towers at the top of the building - starting to remove its uppermost level.  I recommend watching it in full-screen mode.


I'm serious.  If you suffer from vertigo, DON'T WATCH THIS!






All I can say is, you couldn't pay me enough to get me to do that job, even if I was fully able-bodied . . .




Peter

6 comments:

Stackz O Magz said...

Not no, but hell no... It's not the height that bothers me, it's the sudden stop at the end if you fall.

tweell said...

Ah, but you can be ordered to do something like that. I had to replace a light on the top of the USN VLF transmitter when a reservist. Oh my lord what a climb.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lualualei_VLF_transmitter

Don't look down!

B said...

Nope. Nope and Nope.

And, BTW, Nope.

Anonymous said...

Not gonna kill you any deader than a 100 foot fall. Just make sure the rigging is good.
exposure-wind, snow, rain, that would be the real hassle- that and the sheer physical exertion.

Angus McThag said...

His camera lens makes it hard to see how large his platform is, that's the freak out part for me. If it's bar stool sized, I'm scared. Card table, meh.

Heights are strange for me. I don't mind them, but I hate seeing others near edges!

Pascal said...

Yep, Angus. But not just his platform. Watching this video shot through a fish-eye lens can induce vertigo in someone who doesn't suffer from it naturally.

Most unnerving was the thrash at the very end as the shot goes dark. Worse than an "oops." I've a headache now.