Friday, November 22, 2013

They're like fat bumblebees!


Here's a time-lapse video of last month's Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta.  I love watching them lift off and fly away in speeded-up fashion like this . . . they remind me of nothing so much as multi-colored bumblebees! I recommend watching it in full-screen mode.





Note how the winds change at altitude.  From about 1m. 25s. you can see how balloons fly in one direction higher up, then drop down to go the other way in the countervailing winds at lower heights.

Peter

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I lived just the other side of an arroyo from the take off field about 30 year ago. It was always a treat to see. When the take off area was moved north, I'd go and watch before going to work. One year I even joined a chase crew. That was a real treat. The crew, all volunteers, got a ride. My ride flew directly over my house. The balloon was (what today are called special shapes) a large red clown that could wave his arm.

Old NFO said...

Strangely graceful too!

HerrBGone said...

Very cool! (as long as you stay away from the burner...)

Thanks the sharing!